My husband and I had our first child in 1999, which was the same year I started freelancing (the timing was intentional). Early in our marriage, we decided to make a concerted effort to always have one of us at home with the kids. This has certainly presented us with many challenges over the years, but has been extremely worthwhile.
We each taken turns being the “breadwinner” and the “caretaker.” Over past decade, I have worked for myself from home, worked for others from home, and worked for others on-site. I have worked full-time, part-time, and somewhere in between, depending on the ages and stages of our kids.
In lean times (i.e., the dot-com bust) I cooked at a bed-and-breakfast in the morning and wrote technical books at night. In boom times I was flown to California, Florida, and Europe to teach web design and write training materials.
We’ve taken family mission trips to Nicaragua and hosted foster kids in our home. We’ve lived in “wicked cold” Maine and the somewhat more moderate Maryland.
Throughout it all, we’ve been most interested in work that is challenging and rewarding while giving us the flexibility and benefits we need to be good parents. So far, we’ve been pretty lucky to find such work.
It’s been a great ride, and I can’t wait to see where life takes us next.
- Web Design DeMYSTiFieD, Osborne/McGraw-Hill, 2010
- HTML A Beginner’s Guide, Osborne/McGraw-Hill, 2000, 2003, 2006, and 2009
- Web Design: A Beginner’s Guide Second Edition, published by Osborne/McGraw-Hill, 2001 and 2010
- Daily Guideposts 2007, Contributing Author
- Mac OS X in 10 Steps or Less, Wiley, 2004
- Photoshop 7: Tips & Techniques, Osborne/McGraw-Hill, 2002
As a designer, I bring over 15 years of experience working with businesses of all shapes and sizes. I provide a variety of web & instructional consulting services, as well as email marketing, project management, and traditional design services. The type of work I’m frequently asked to complete includes:
- Project management: Gather/define requirements. Identify potential problem areas and resolve. Manage projects from concept to creation.
- Screen-based media: Design information architecture, user interface, and page/screen functionality. Edit/develop content for on-screen readability. Perform instructional design check. Ensure usability. Work with back-end teams to integrate content management and other business systems. Customize WordPress templates. Optimize for search engines.
- E-mail marketing: Design e-mail. Ensure usability among a variety of e-mail readers. Set-up tracking/statistics methods. Experience with Blue Hornet, Convio, Vertical Response, Constant Contact, Lyris, and Emma.
- Print: Develop marketing copy. Design piece. Pre-flight piece. Manage printer/vendor relationships.
- Identity/branding: Develop marketing copy. Design logo. Create identity system.
My unique ability to understand the creative and technical sides of web design has proved invaluable to my clients. Indeed, I frequently am called upon by larger firms and agencies to act as a go-between for creative and technical team members, especially in the planning stages of a project.
I also understand that all design is subjective, and am able to separate myself from my work. I work with my clients to put aside personal preferences and ensure the final product is something everyone is proud to display.
- Freelance Consultant, Wendy Willard Designs
- Marketing Manager, MEP MSI
- Art Director, USWeb Corporation
- Creative Director, Fishnet NewMedia
- Adjunct Professor, Harford Community College
- Instructor, The Interactive Factory
- Instructor, Montserrat College of Art
Partial Client List
- Anthem of Hope*
- Carton Donofrio Partners
- Chop Point*
- Coastal Business Machines
- DMG Consulting
- Duke University, Office of Health Professions Advising
- EPIC Community Church*
- Half Pints Sports Pub
- Homestead Wakefield Elementary School*
- Let’s Dish!
- LL Bean
- Lyons Law
- Maryland Zoo*
- Oak Grove Baptist Church*
- Provenance Consulting
- Red Engine Digital
- The Pomerantz Agency
- Virginia Dare
- Words & Numbers
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration
Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California